Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ISP Blog #1: Juno

The first screenplay I read for my ISP was Juno, by Diablo Cody. Even after reading the first few pages of the script, it was evident that humour is an integral part of Diablo Cody's screenplay. Cody's style of humour is somewhat brash and crude, yet it fits perfectly with one of the main themes of Juno, which is adolescence. Sarcasm is also used very well, an example being when Juno's friend, Leah, asks Juno where she is going to get her abortion, to which Juno responds, "Women Now, I guess. The commercial says they help women now." The strong characters that are presented in the script are also a strong point. The character development of each major character furthers the plot of the screenplay, and vice versa. I intend to emulate this strong correlation between character development and plot in my own screenplay. Cody is also very specific about stage and camera directions when needed, but still leaves enough room to allow the director and actors to exercise their own creative freedom.
One aspect of Juno that I didn't think worked was the periodic use of voiceovers throughout the screenplay. I felt that the voiceovers interrupted the flow of dialogue and didn't really add to the plot or Juno's character. While often funny, there really doesn't seem to be any need for disconnected thoughts to wander into the narrative.
Overal, I think that Juno is an excellent screenplay. It is lighthearted, but still touches on vital issues in our society today. It is also an extremely detailed piece. Having seen the finished movie, I was surprised about just how much of the specific directions came directly from the script. It also surprised me how precisely they were laid out initially. With the exception of the use of voiceovers, which I felt were uneccessary, I feel that Juno gives many crucial examples of how to lay out a screenplay effectively and accurately.

No comments: